Sunday, October 16, 2005

The problem!

These patches of paint are causing me grief. The commonly held belief is that the chassis of these vehicles should be black. And until we started really dismantling the idea was to paint it black. It's simple, the chassis and anything hanging off it would be black. Easy, isn't it?
The patches that are in the photo are on the chassis below the fixings for the fender. Not so easy now is it?
Now there are several things we were told when I bought Katie, and several things that I have found or assumed:

The Previous Owner could not weld (pop rivets all over). An assumption.
The engine has been rebuilt. Not told when or how thoroughly.
The original colour was Pasture Green
The next two coats of paint on the bodywork were red. And in the engine bay black.
The paint was put on by hand with not much thought to restoration.

So, knowing all these things, and finding the Pasture Green paint at points where the only colour that you would have thought was there should have been Black, gives an idea that the chassis was painted body colour.
Production would have been easier if it were black - but as in early '46 there were only two colours the chassis could have been body colour.
So now I have to be a little careful when taking the grease/muck off the chassis, just in case I find some more paint.

STOP PRESS: There has been a breakthrough, and as the paint is probably a transfer from the fender bracket, I am now resolved to do the easier thing, and all chassis parts, and ancilliary stuff WILL BE BLACK. T is so pleased!

4 comments:

Liz said...

For goodness sake - there are problems and there are problems!! Its no wonder that you are up at 4 inteh morning writing a comment on my blog, why not try pink with purple spots?

Liz said...

So you don't like the pink with purple spots? Have you seen the wellies advertised in the Garden magazine this month!!

H said...

Problem solved - it is going to be black!

Liz said...

Good, I am glad that is settled! Shirl says, "Hello sister....."