Monday, January 29, 2007

Rear cross member, spring hangers, and some luck!

The old and the new - guess which is which?

Having given Keith the rusty bits, and had no sucking of teeth they were refabricated! Although the uneven nature of the rear cross member did give us cause to ask whether that was intentional, a quick question to my Jeep gurus on the CJ2A site confirmed that the shape was right, as it was, and no bits had been chopped off due to excessive(!) rust. He turned up with this - absolutelybrilliant.






All mocked up, and nowhere to go - scarey stuff!
had to re-drill the holes for the spring hangers - so it was measure once (make that six times) then twice, then cut once!






There will be a bit of welding to the chassis, and the 'rivets' will be put on, using button headed cap screws and filling the socket with weld afterwards. I have seen a beautiful little jeep which had been made into an AA jeep, nicely done but the one thing I thought spoiled it was the use of these button heads, without filling the sockets after. It didn't strike me at the time that the bolts should have been hex headed in some of the cases too. So, it strikes me that there is a place for all this, and I don't want to spend 20 years re-using the old nuts and bolts when I could get them, and being totally silly about the degree in which this needs to be done. But I am going to try and not produce glaring errors! I will be told that it is the wrong colour green when it first goes out - but that will be because it will be mistaken for a military Jeep anyway!





Dry fitted, will find the right bolts before fitting properly!

4 comments:

Liz said...

can't remember my password!!

Liz said...

Got it - but this worked anyway ...
You have been very busy, it looks like Katie will be up and running for hte show at Bloxham?

H said...

Next year!

Liz said...

Let's hope it dries up during the year then!! Like the pickies of the French trip - there's an art to this parking of midges - look pretty?